I occasionally give talks and lectures on various topics. Here is a list of upcoming and past events. I also accept invitations to speak about these and related topics - just drop me a line!
UpcomingNothing planned yet. Invitations welcome to email@example.com.
- A taste of language 21st October 2010
- A series of mini talks on language-related topcis: conlangs (spoken but made up languages, as opposed to natural - examples include Esperanto, Klingon and Lojban), Speech synthesis (computer generated speech), Language Forensics (how linguistic analysis is used in law - whether in contracts, or in a courtroom, interpretation of spoken evidence etc), and British Sign Language.
- La Londona Hakejo 3rd January 2013
- An introduction to London Hackspace and Makerspaces around the world. This talk was given in Esperanto, to an annual youth conference which took place in Germany.
- La Londona Hakejo Feb 15th 2013
- A repeat of the talk in Germany, but customised to a non-technical crowd. Took place at the London Esperanto Club
Language acquistion May 5th 2013Cancelled
A short talk on techniques used for language teaching and learning, as part of the 1-day event Electromagnetic wave
- Bells and bellringing Jun 4th 2013
- Part of the inter-faith activities in Edgware, this talk is an introduction to the English tradition of Change-ringing, covering the techniques and history, and will also provide a chance to have a go yourself.
- Ludponto 13th September 2013
- A history and introduction of the cardgame Bridge, popular in the UK and US.
- The history of Esperanto 16th July 2014
- Part of an event called The Universal Language of Hope, an evening at The Floating Cinema.