- 225 g unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for tin
- 225g caster sugar
- 225 g self-raising flour (or use 225g of plain flour and add 3 tsp of baking powder)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 3 tsp. of poppy seeds (optional)
- 75 g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 200C (180C for fan-assisted) / gas mark 6.
- Grease and line a loaf or cake tin.
- In a large bowl, beat together the better and 225g of caster sugar until the mixture is creamy and pale.
- Add the eggs one at the time, ensuring each egg is well mixed before adding the next one.
- Whisk in the flour and the lemon zest
- Add the poppy seeds (if you’re using them)
- Pour the mixture into the tin, using a spoon to scrape out the remains of the cake batter. Smooth the top.
- Bake for 50 mins-1hr. Use a toothpick or skewer to check that the it’s cooked inside; it should come out clean.
- Towards the end of the cooking tie, mix together the lemon juice and 75g of caster sugar in a bowl.
- Once you’ve removed the cake from the oven, leave it to stand in the cake tin for a few mins (this makes it easier to remove from the tin).
- Whilst it’s still warm, pierce the top several times with a skewer and pour over the lemon sauce.
This works with any high-citrus fruit. Substitute limes or oranges. Or use a combination.