- red cabbage
- butter or mararine
- muscavado sugar
- 1-2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 apple
- sausage meat (optional)
- Wash and chop a red cabbage. Presentation is up to you, but thin strips (a few mm wide) or chopped works well.
- Add it to a deep pan and fry it in a load of butter (2 tb.sp. or so) and add a roughly chopped onion shortly after.
- Whilst the onions are softening, peel and chop an apple and the carrot(s).
- When the onions have softened add about 200ml of malt vinegar, the chopped apple and carrot, some sausage meat (e.g. garlic sausage, chorizo, kebano) and some sultanas.
- Add sugar to take the edge of the vinegar; half a table spoon or so is about right. Perform a taste test; it should be sharp but not eye-wateringly so!
- Reduce heat and simmer for 45 mins-1hr allowing it to reduce down.
- The sausage can easily be left out for the veggies amongst you.
- Margarine would also work if you wish to veganise the recipe.
- Muscavado sugar isn’t necessary; caster or even granulated sugar will also work, but muscavado has a nicer flavour.